Zenawi government deny shooting foreign tourists

ADDIS ABABA, Ethiopia — A high-ranking Ethiopian government official says a rebel group’s claim that Ethiopian troops killed five European tourists during a gun battle is “pure fiction”.

Ethiopia’s foreign affairs spokesman Dina Mufti said Monday that the statement was completely untrue. Ethiopia has blamed its archenemy Eritrea for the incident.

An unverified Jan. 21 statement claiming to be from an obscure rebel group in Ethiopia’s arid northern Afar region claimed gunmen clashed with Ethiopian soldiers. The Afar Revolutionary Democratic Unity Front says the five foreigners were killed in the battle.

The claim comes after gunmen last week attacked a group of European tourists in the country’s Afar region, bordering the tiny nation of Eritrea. Five were killed, two wounded and two kidnapped.

Share Button
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any losses or damages that may have caused by using our services. EMF declines all responsibility for the contents of the materials stored by users. Each and every user is solely responsible for the posts.
Posted by on January 24, 2012. Filed under COMMENTARY. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *