By Dejenie A. Lakew (Ph.D.)– Dear readers, Ethiopians and friends of Ethiopia, first, I wish you a Happy Ethiopian New Year: a year of prosperity, healthy living and happiness.
POLITICAL STABILITY: RESULTS OF VISONS CULMINATED FROM KNOWLEDGE, WISDOM AND VIRTUE
At this time I write pieces of modules of ideas that may or may not be in sequence but worth reading them. The theme of my set of modules of ideas is on how to create a political structure that will be a culture to all its citizens and therefore be stable in Ethiopia.
Stability, both a spatial and temporal behavior of a dynamical system is predictable and observable as well. It is one of the most important properties of any dynamical system and therefore of a political system in particular. The points that cause the system to lose stability are called singularity points of that system. At or around such singularity points the system gets disturbed and behaves erratic and creates a behavior that may create havoc to the system not to behave and function properly for longer time or the disturbance is small and therefore the temporary misbehaving stabilizes gradually in time without creating a noticeable pick of erratic behavior. In political structures, such points for instance are: unfairness in judgment, favoritism on distribution and allocation of resources, abuse of power, campaigning against particular ethnic groups, public irritations against politicians because of staying in power indefinitely, corruption, existence of people in power who lack knowledge, wisdom and virtue to give a timely and civilized leadership to citizens that parallels to contemporary societies, etc. . All these cause a society to bleed, cry, misbehave and force them not to function to their full potentials and full capacity, and keep the society behind from the rest of the world, and therefore are singularity points of that political structure. Surprisingly, such singularity points are prevalent in multiplicities across contemporary political structure of Ethiopia.
A continuous and indefinite existence of political leaders who are unwise, untimely and unwanted by the society they allegedly represent. It is not their lack of wisdom and knowledge what creates problems, but their indefinite occupation of political power and thereby the continuous damage they cause because of their unwise and uneducated decisions they make on behalf of the office they hold. Therefore to avoid such pitfalls, it is imperative to impose a constitutional term limit for elected leaders with no more than two terms. No elected leader should change a constitution in order stay in office for more than the tenure time allowed.
Political systems are more stable, beneficial and progressive when they are cultures that are independent of individuals in office. Political systems and power houses should be like well designed and strongly built highways of varying slopes and twists and bridges of huge carrying capacities with high swing and elasticity constants, so that all types of vehicles can pass through them, either weak or strong, light or heavy, old or new. Political power houses should be places where leaders will come and leave after they provide their responsibility given to them by the people in a fixed time frame—term of tenure. Those who performed bad during their term leave office faster and be replaced by a new one by the people, without changing the political structure. Those who did well should also leave office on time before they develop common pitfalls of politicians appetite to power, corruption and as a result, gradual developments of public irritations and dislike towards them, which lead to social, economic and political paralysis, stagnation and backwardness and ultimately to dictatorships.
Stable political structures sustain themselves in times of weak leaders, but strengthened more when there come strong and visionary leaders. Countries who embrace western democracies benefit from such stable political systems and be able to grow faster and stronger than countries who languishes with one leader and one political ideology for several decades which amounts to ownership of a real estate than be leaders of countries.
Forming political parties that share power in the central government with programs designed on ideas that will deliver political solutions to all peoples of Ethiopia, not to a particular ethnic group or groups. Think of a political party as an umbrella of protection and representation to the central government for a certain constituency. A constituency is a totality of all individuals who reside in that particular district and therefore that political party or umbrella should embrace and provide political service to all individuals who live in that district. The umbrella cannot and should not discriminate who has to get shelter when individuals from different or mixed ethnicities who live in that area need shelter. There is no place or district in which a single ethnic group lives by itself and therefore establishes a political party that will represent and give a political protection to one ethnic group alone. Political parties should therefore be parties of ideas and not of tribes and ethnicities. Tribal and ethnic political shelters were typical social structures that were common in the time before the advent of slavery, in which a tribe of one cannot be protected by other tribes unless the later is under subjugation and servitude with a lower status and therefore less protected and at times be attacked, when needed. Ethiopia and Ethiopians are way ahead of that period of social existence, centuries ago. They passed that stage like all other countries with grace and civility using traditional values of compromise, humanity and paving ways to coexistence for the greater good of their future and to generations to come. They lived intermingled, married and died together side by side defending their beloved mother land Ethiopia for centuries. These actions of theirs were not forced, and coerced by anyone for some temporal glory or benefit, but done by themselves with their courageous will bravery and heroic spirit—a clear display of actions of courage and wisdom of our grand ancestors on human dynamics of mobility, frictions and stability. Therefore to trivialize, mock and nullify their expressions of true love and ultimate scarifies they have made to their country, and completely dismiss their acts of patriotism as wastage and servitude is totally nonsense, wrong, treasonous and in fact amounts to political treachery and deception of a highest order against Ethiopia, its centuries long existence, and to its patriotic peoples of all tribes.
Individuals who learnt outdated medieval terms: nations, nationalities, colonization, independence, etc from a discarded and outdated dysfunctional source, should not be allowed to preach hate of a biblical proportion against others, and should be held accountable with crimes of treason and be labeled as anti-social, campaigners of ethnic hatred and wishers and whisperers of a genocide.
If one wants to play a game of intolerance and nonsense as supporters of OLF and other tribal leaders do, then the Amhara people have ample historical, scientific and archeological support to claim that they are actually the first inhabitants of the place what now the Oromo people occupy and live and should therefore force the Oromo people to leave. But for a person of reason and civility, the question therefore will be, where should it start to expel people, and who determines the time line? Above all, is this a reasonable and civilized idea from contemporary time line?
In fact, such ideas amount to imposing a very unseen type of pseudo-political and social phenomena on current Ethiopia, because of its past from some treacherous individuals who are only trained as real estate developers that have no an iota of what a country and its values are, and how countries of the world were formed. Such kinds of ideas and political maneuvers to punish the past and get a ransom of real estates out of an old and existing country are just unknown and prohibits the human spirit of exploration and discovery and is therefore a game of nonsense of a smallest order to say the least. It totally condemns, denigrates and paralyses the spirit of the human mind to think, imagine, explore by creating technologies to go beyond our galaxy and discover different galactic structures that may benefit mankind, because there might be beings living in places where man will be in the future, which according to these people’s argument will be a crime of a future. Such political thinking of extraordinaire little is not only nonsense but will make mankind prisoner of the future and forces man to behave like zombies of other species whose continuous existence is only from the will and mercy of nature with no a modern type of human existence, devoid of thinking, reasoning, imagination, search, research and discovery.
If all countries of the world today are forced to be what these treacherous pseudo-politicians, who deep in their hearts know what they are fighting is to get a piece of land for their future private living, then everything of the past including the establishments of America, Canada, Australia, Latin America, etc., were wrong and should be dissolved and the lands should be given back to the people who lived there centuries ago, and all others who came to these places from all over the world ( including perpetrators of these childish nonsense of Oromo nation) return back to where they have come from. These ideas are not only dangerously irritating to a level of a child reasoning and desire, but politically nonsense to contemporary world. The very simple reason is that going back has no end as far as human mobility is concerned. A tribe moved from place to place throughout history and there is no time frame that will give delimitation as to where measurement of time will start to give a right of ownership of a particular land to a particular tribe as it was theirs for all time. It will be a lifelong childish and banditry old style gamble to those who do not understand social developments and from where and how far we came to be where we are now.
No natural being expects and wishes all the time, big bang to happen again, but with different outcomes and different arrangements. Orientations are reversed and smaller structures be larger and larger ones be smaller. Those who were lighting should be lightless and those which are lightless have lights. Simply a desire to reverse what is now to the opposite. Such persons are either lack proper thinking —including understanding concepts of time and space, reasoning and purpose of things, or they are far, far behind contemporary societies in understanding the causality and purpose of things around them and beyond. Such ideas and thinking parallels either lunacy or psychological troubles of socio-political disorders and paralysis caused by the past socio-political establishments. It is true that a psychologically disturbed person does say and wants to impose what he/she thinks and demands out of the ordinary, but it is the other normal people who do diagnose the fallacy of his/her thinking and advise the individual to take medications or advice the individual to go to school and learn the basics of social developments as to when the human society came to exist on earth and what it took humankind to be where it is now. We mathematicians do not allow a new and alien individual, who has no any idea about numbers, their history, developments and how many giant established facts exist, come and tell us or impose on us to place the fraction half somewhere between 0 and 0.1 and tried to convince us that he/she is right by being lunatic and out of control by lack of reason or by intimidation and using weapons. We know right away that the person is not only a mathematician but even does not know what a number is, and we do not allow the man to deal with mathematics at all. Well, that is exactly what Ethiopia encountered politically for that last 20+ years from tribal politicians who uniformly gowned the masking terms, nations and nationalities and Amhara colonization, etc… just fascinating and unparalleled political theory of extraordinaire.
Fortunately, these are the symptoms Ethiopia and true children of Ethiopia diagnosed from these individuals who deny Ethiopia’s history and long time existence as a sovereign country of known territory. Surprisingly, such socio-political diseases of the past have no medications at the moment and in the future, except in countries like Ethiopia where the government declared such demands are valid and welcomed and be entertained accordingly — one such request that has gotten answered was Eritrea — the place now is a grand prison for those who demanded exactly what I have explained above from their mother land Ethiopia – receiving the curse of a betrayed and mutilated mother who still is bleeding from other stabbings by people who reside in her own power house.
King Solomon was known for his judicious works of wisdom. One of his works of wisdom was: two women came to his court calming that a child is theirs. He had no technology to use DNA test or he did not form a jury to make his decisions, instead he used his wisdom of identifying what a true mother will do to her child. He demanded a sward and asked one of his aids to bring the child forward. He then told to the two women that he is going to divide the child and you take your shares—when he raised his sward pretending to cut the child, the real mother fallen on top of her child to protect him from death while the pseudo mother stood quietly and watched the drama. Then Solomon made his DNA analysis of wisdom and gave the child to the real mother. It is this type of betrayal and test that Ethiopia has witnessed and lived for the last 20+ years, and knew who the real children and who the phony ones are.
From this time onwards, all Ethiopians and their friends of reason and decency, wherever they live should hold accountable those individuals who run a political campaign against Ethiopia and one particular ethnic group and perpetuate and teach a genocidal curriculum of pseudo-politics to innocent people who even are not able to read. Such hate originated pseudo-political runs targeting a particular ethnic group, to isolate, humiliate, feel guilty of their past (for doing a bravery work of patriotism to keep the country free, independent and proud to its children of all generations ) and eliminate politically from their country should be resisted and fought to the end and be treated as a campaign of genocide. Such actions when seen should be filed and reported to international organizations that work on such matters across the globe. No person of authority who holds a government office in contemporary Ethiopia speaks against Ethiopia and its past and against an ethnic group, as he/she represents the highest power of the land in which all individuals should feel and receive equality of law protection and where Ethiopia gets the highest protection as a country.
All the above issues I raised and discussed in brief are few of the things that determine the stability or the chaotic and erratic behavior of the political structure that Ethiopia and Ethiopians deserve to have or forced not to have. Since no human being of reason needs to form and live in chaotic systems except bad people with sinister motives, Ethiopia and Ethiopians need to create a political structure that is stable. Therefore conditions of stability should be identified, created and implemented. I will list few of them:
· Promote curricula of cultural developments that promote tolerance, lasting peaceful coexistence and purpose for the benefit of all to future generations. Political works and decisions should not be only for single generations, but for several generations to come.
· Develop a tradition of debate to solve differences by peaceful means and be able to agree even when in disagreement and work together. This habit eliminates the formation of chaos and instability—as chaos is a phenomenon when things are going apart as time goes bye because of disagreements.
· Develop schools and learning institutes across the country so that the country will have well educated, capable of thinking, reasoning and imaginative work force that is vital to the developments of the country in making wise and scientific decisions in understanding and solving problems for stability, and leaders of that capacity with wider knowledge and wisdom of things that are political, economic and social of local and/or global in nature with a developed sense of virtue so that they give priority to public causes than theirs, give preference to reason than nonsense and sensations, use virtue than vile—which all lead to stability than chaos.
· Establish effective infra-structures of communications and transport which are vital to local economic developments and cross cultural understanding, because of mobility of people from one corner to another for economic reasons due to the existence of such means and there bye creates opportunities for people to know and understand each other. Knowing creates understanding and understanding creates to be closer which again is a source of stability.
· Develop a constitution that is modern, civilized and fits contemporary societies of the world. Erase completely the notion of ethnicity, nation and nationalities. These terms were simply created and used to control crowd of different stalks, where a political group (of a minority size or alien type) in power uses them in order to stay on top of all of the different stalks of people and use resources they have to places where the political group came from and also to stay in power indefinitely until they all come to know that the method used was a trick on them. In fact this method of tribal arrangements put those who are categorized by ethnicity to a lower level of social consciousness and political developments than the ones who rule them being on top. It was used by dictators of extraordinaire brutality and also by European colonists to rule by dividing – To utilize unknown territory that was occupied by different stalks of people, first they have to control it and to do that they had to create ( even if there are none ) pseudo parameters of differences among people to divide them and magnify that by some magnification factors and keep telling them wherever they are, when they are together or alone, until that parameter permeates in to the psyche of the society. Then after, the people will lose sense of cohesion and oneness and start to fight each other in which his former natural neighbor now becomes his deadly immediate enemy of survival. This is what was/is used and happened/happening in Ethiopia since the new group came to power. Therefore, a constitution that recognizes the social developments Ethiopians, which is of modern and civilized, and that guarantees liberty and protects rights of an individual, that nurtures social trust to local and central governments by its citizens, is the one which creates stability. It is surprising that individuals of a different ethnic group are living in places with political umbrella established to a different ethnic group. Is this not a paradox not only thinking but of a simple fact of together living in one place! How could a big tree tells smaller plants that are growing beneath, that they should be of its type in order to get a weather protection, if not just get dead or it is up to you! Is that even possible in nature? What does it mean when an ethnic party whose main political mission is to take care of the welfare of that ethnic group and threats others as outsiders is given a mandate to rule a place that constitutes multitudes of different and mixed types of people? Suppose there is only one medicine left in a pharmacy run by an ethnic group X for a deadly disease. Now two people came who need that medicine, one from ethnic group X and the other from a different ethnic group but lives there. How will the pharmacy make a decision on this?
· To establish a judiciary system that is free from influence of any political power, not nominally as is always, but in practice. Every citizen of the country should feel that he/she indeed has a free and independent law protection and foreigners alike.
· Establish a press law that guarantees the freedom of expression and free speech with no string attached. No person has to be criminalized for what he thinks, said or written — that is just wrong and uncivilized political behavior. Censorship is not the job of a government but of a reader.
· Create and protect conditions that guarantee political protection and economic vitality to its future existence globally and restore its historical power house that it had in the horn of Africa. In this regard we have seen the humiliating treatment Ethiopia is getting and bowing for the last 20+ years to Djibouti and other neighboring countries for port use. It has been reported time and again by all global financial organizations and known economists and from my outsider economic theory understanding but mathematical reasoning, courtiers with no sea out lets are bound to remain under constrained political power and economic growth and hence will always have controlled overall growth. Sea boundaries and ports are like doors to a home and air ducts to a person and you do not have to let these very fundamental parts of your home and body be controlled by others who at times want to chock you to death when they do not like you or sided with your enemy and blocks your movement and locked you up in a nest like a bird and makes your life miserable, which in this case is the political and economic life of Ethiopia — unless you are a person devoid of a smallest wisdom and lack basic understanding of world politics of the human society of the last several centuries. Therefore, Ethiopia should regain its natural sea out let and restores its natural port of Assab and red sea coast line using all legal means available. Political works are not to give comforts to leaders and individuals who reside in that country at a particular time, but instead to have a vision and do political works so that current generations be benefited and future generations be at a different but better place than past generations and therefore be appreciative of what past generations have done to them.
· Teach citizens civics lessons—what their duties, rights and responsibilities are? What a country is and its values to a person? What is a constitution and an army to the country?. These things are vital to create unison among all its citizens and give value and trust to their country and government, treat the constitution as their true document of a lasting harmonious existence. Citizens should learn and know that the army is paying an ultimate price to keep their safety and peace and the territorial integrity of their country. Therefore they have to always pay tribute to that sacrifices and give a value, develop patriotism and a sense of what a country is – a place of immense value to work, live, educate their children and enjoy life freely in peace, protected by the blood of its citizens who are their brothers and sisters. Trivializing and denying these values makes a citizen treasonous and be caste out by the society at all time.