Al-Shabab moved back as Meles’ troops abandon Somali towns

MOGADISHU, Somalia (AP) — Witnesses say that hundreds of gun-toting al-Shabab fighters have moved back into central Somali towns abandoned over the last week by Ethiopian troops.

Ali Muhyadin, a resident in the town of El-bur, said Tuesday that residents woke up on Sunday and found that Ethiopian troops had abandoned their bases.

Residents said al-Shabab fighters then beheaded two men accused of collaborating with the Ethiopians and dumped their headless bodies in town.

Al-Shabab was reported to have returned to two other towns — Mahas and Wabho — after Ethiopian troops left.

Ethiopia’s president recently promised that Ethiopian forces would leave Somalia soon. Ethiopian forces still occupy the larger towns of Baidoa and Beledweyne

Share Button
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any losses or damages that may have caused by using our services. EMF declines all responsibility for the contents of the materials stored by users. Each and every user is solely responsible for the posts.
Posted by on June 13, 2012. Filed under NEWS. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *