23,000 Ethiopians ‘surrender’ in Saudi after clamp down +(video)

14 November 2013 (BBC)

About 23,000 Ethiopians have surrendered to Saudi authorities since a clampdown on illegal migrant workers began in the oil-rich kingdom last week, officials have said.

The clampdown has led to clashes in the capital, Riyadh, with at least five people killed.

Saudi authorities say they are trying to reduce the 12% unemployment rate among native Saudis.

An estimated nine million migrant workers are in Saudi Arabia.

They are said to make up more than half the workforce, filling manual, clerical and service jobs.

‘Hurling rocks’

Ethiopia’s ambassador in Riyadh, Muhammed Hassan Kabiera, said the embassy had been informed by Saudi officials that some 23,000 Ethiopians had so far handed themselves in.

Some of them have already been repatriated, with the first group arriving in Ethiopia’s capital, Addis Ababa, on Wednesday, reports from Ethiopia say.

In renewed clashes on Wednesday in Riyadh’s Manfuhah district, a Sudanese national was killed, Saudi Arabia’s state-owned SPA news agency reports.

Illegal migrants “rioted, hurling rocks at passersby and cars”, it quoted police as saying.

Foreign workers wait for a taxi as they leave the Manfuhah neighbourhood of Riyadh. 10 Nov 2013
Many migrants do low-paid jobs in Saudi Arabia

Police said they intervened and “controlled” the situation, SPA reports.

Manfuhah is home to many migrants, mostly from East Africa.

On Sunday, Ethiopia’s Foreign Affairs Minister Tedros Adhanom said he had information that three Ethiopian citizens had been killed in clashes since last week.

However, Saudi authorities say two foreigners have been killed, along with three Saudis.

Riyadh governor Prince Khaled bin Bandar bin Abdulaziz said the clamp down was aimed at illegal migrants, and not any “specific group”.

“We will continue these campaigns until we ensure all residents in our country are staying legally,” he is quoted by al-Riyadh newspaper as saying.

Earlier this month, the authorities began rounding up the migrants following the expiry of a seven-month amnesty for them to formalise their status.

Nearly a million Bangladeshis, Indians, Filipinos, Nepalis, Pakistanis and Yemenis are estimated to have left the country in the past three months.

More than 30,000 Yemenis have reportedly crossed to their home country in the past two weeks.

Four million other migrants obtained work permits before the deadline expired.

Share Button
Disclaimer: We are not responsible for any losses or damages that may have caused by using our services. EMF declines all responsibility for the contents of the materials stored by users. Each and every user is solely responsible for the posts.
Posted by on November 14, 2013. Filed under FEATURED. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0. You can leave a response or trackback to this entry

4 Responses to 23,000 Ethiopians ‘surrender’ in Saudi after clamp down +(video)

  1. Mageyd Reply

    November 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM

    ወያኔ በትረ ሥልጣን ከተቆጣጠረበት 1983 ዓም ጀምሮ በአገራችንና በወገኖቻችን ላይ ከፈጸማቸው በርካታ ወንጀሎች አንዱ በህጋዊ መንገድ በሺዎች የሚቆጠሩ ዜጎቻችንን ለባርነት ወደ አረብ አገራት በመላክ የአገራችንን መልካም ዝናና የህዝባችንን ክብር ያዋረደበት ተግባር ነው::

    በወያኔ ንግድ ድርጅቶች ዋና ተዋናይነት ተመልምለው ለባርነት ሥራ የሚላኩትን ዜጎች በገፍ ስትቀበል የኖረቺው ሳውድ አረቢያ የሥራ ፍቃድ ያለቀባቸውን ከአገሯ ለማባረር ሰሞኑን በወሰደቺው የማዋከብ እርምጃ በሺዎች የሚቆጠሩ ዜጎቻችን እየተደበደቡና ጎዳና ላይ እየተጎተቱ እሥር ቤት ታጉረዋል፤ ገንዘባቸውን ተዘርፈዋል፤ ከፖሊስ የሚደርስባቸውን ድብደባና እንግልት ለመቋቋም የሞከሩት በግፍ ተገድለው አስከሬናቸው ጎዳና ላይ ተጥሎሏል:: በርካታ ወጣት እህቶቻችን ደግሞ በአምስትና ስድስት የአረብ ጎረምሳ ወሲብ ጥቃት እየተፈጸመባቸው ለአካልና መንፈስ ጉዳት ተዳርገዋል::

    ይህ ሁሉ ሲሆን በአባይ ግድብ ግንባታ ሥም ገንዘብ ለመሰብሰብ ቦንድ ግዙ እያለ የሳውዲ ነዋሪ ሲጨቀጭቅ የኖረው በሳውዲ የወያኔ ኤምባሲም ሆነ አዲስ አበባ የሚገኙ ቅምጥል አለቆቹ ጥቃቱን ለማስቆም ድምጻቸውን ለማሰማት አለመፈለጋቸው በኢትዮጵያዊያን ላይ የሚደርሰው ሰቆቃ በዘላቂነት የሚወገደው ወያኔ ከሥልጣን ተባሮ የኢትዮጵያ ሕዝብ ሲያስተዳድር በመሆኑ ለዚህ ታላቅ ግብ በኅብረት እንነሳ።

  2. haneon Reply

    November 14, 2013 at 7:21 PM

    I see that video puts the blame on the Saudis Saudi Arabia did not do only properly Mtrah and this is the correct outgoing non-papers or entering the country than others is tamper not manageable laws of the country and sell contraband and murder ..!Saudi Arabia All what do true!

  3. Yinegal Lelitu Reply

    November 15, 2013 at 4:32 AM

    “There are only 50,000 Nigerians living in India, but there are over a million Indians living in Nigeria. Thousands of Indians living there will be thrown out on the streets if the forcible eviction of Nigerians in Goa does not stop”
    Jacob Nwadibia, administrative attaché, Nigerian high commission, New Delhi

  4. Yinegal Lelitu Reply

    November 15, 2013 at 4:33 AM

    shame on Saudi Arebia and Eth.Gov

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *